JOIN THE FACEBOOK FAMILY @ http://facebook.com/angelsforpets

.

.

Sunday, August 15, 2010

What to do if your Dog has been poisoned

What to do for suspected dog poisoning

If you think your dog has been poisoned, try to stay calm. It is important to act quickly, but rationally.

First, gather up any of the potential poison that remains -- this may be helpful to your veterinarian and any outside experts who assist with the case. If your dog has vomited, collect the sample in case your veterinarian needs to see it.

 Then, try to keep your pet calm and call your veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (APCC) at (888) 426-4435. Experts at the APCC are available to answer questions and provide guidance 24 hours a day for a $60 consultation fee.

If it is after hours or you would rather try a natural way to removing the toxins there is another thing you can try....

Activated Charcoal

Grab a bottle of activated charcoal and take out 4 capsules for a larger dog, and 2 if it is a smaller dog.  Pour the contents into about a tablespoon of water.  The goal is to make it easy for them to lick up quickly or for you to put into a syringe.   Add a pinch of honey(raw is the best), stir and serve. Wait about 10-15 min then put some salt on the back of your dogs tongue. Make sure you are in an area that will allow the dog ample room to throw up any poisons that may have now been bound by the activated charcoal.

Real Story...
My Jack Russell Rat Terrier ate half a bar of dark chocolate, when we found her, her breathing was crazy, she was lethargic and I thought for sure if I don't do something right now this little dog is going to die.  It was after hours and Sunday to make matters worse we live nowhere near any place that could assist.  I got online and found a doctor who told me to give my dog activated charcoal.  So  I broke open an activated charcoal pill and dumped it into the middle of a raw honey ball, I closed up the opening and gave it to my dog.  I waited and nothing was happening, he then said take salt and put it on the back of her tongue.  Within in minutes she managed to throw up everything leaving 7 piles of chocolate mess for me to clean up.  But it worked.  Activated charcoal is officially in my medicine cabinet in case any of us get poisoned it is great for binding to the toxins and kicking them out.
  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

No comments:

Post a Comment

Save a Pet! Saves Lives!

Dog Adoption

 
Copyright 2013 © Angels for pets
Tangent Design | EZwpthemes