Sent: Thursday, August 14, 2014 8:35 AM
Subject: Trifexis flea drug warning
If you've been giving your dog a once-a-month pill for fleas and to prevent heartworms called Trifexis, stop immediately!
For the past eight months, reports have been pouring in about more
and more dogs collapsing and dying or going into organ failure and
having to be euthanized after being given this drug.
For some dogs, all it took was one dose.
Since the story broke in November, the FDA is receiving reports of
at least one dog a day mysteriously dying after being dosed with
The drug is described by its manufacturer, Elanco, as a "powerful
3-in-1 parasite protection." But when you hear heartbreaking stories
from dog owners, you know just how powerful it really is.
And the effects aren't just limited to certain dogs. The reports of sudden canine death are for all different breeds and ages.
One pet parent, who lost her beloved Scottish terrier, Fergus,
after giving him just one dose of Trifexis, said he first lost all
muscle control and later went into liver failure. "The initial reaction
from taking that one pill was horrible," she recalled.
The FDA now has now received almost 1,000 reports of dogs that
have died after being given the drug. And Elanco has received over 1,500
calls about dogs, just like Fergus, who also lost muscle control after
taking Trifexis -- a condition called "ataxia."
Ataxia has now been added to the Trifexis label as a possible side effect -- along with "seizures."
One vet who dispenses Trifexis is naïve enough to believe that
"the FDA is not going to allow a product out there on the market that is
going to continue to hurt animals."
But we know better than to think the FDA is going to protect our dogs from dangerous drugs any better than it protects us.
And if you've seen the commercial for the drug, it says to "observe your dog for one hour after administration."
I guess that's so we can rush them to the vet's office ASAP.
Monday, August 18, 2014
Thursday, November 07, 2013
In January of 2011 I rescued and fostered two puppies..one little baby was just 4 weeks old and the other one we estimated to be about 8 weeks old. Both were pulled from a local kill shelter and moved to a veterinarian by a fellow rescuer out of New York, and both had been given 4 rounds of vaccinations. The plan was... drive to pick the little furbabies up foster for a week while we await their transport to New York.
Sunday, February 03, 2013
Do you have a dog or a puppy with distemper? Did they recover and now a year has gone by and you are noticing some side effects of the illness? For those of you have read my previous articles about Djanga my beautiful little survivor you might find the information I am about to share to be useful.